Kootenai County Farmers’ Market Artisan & Craft Guidelines
The Kootenai County Farmers’ Market is primarily an agricultural market, however crafters and artisans are a welcomed addition to the market scene. All non-agricultural products sold at the market must be juried and accepted by the KCFMA Artistic Review Committee (ARC). Jury sessions are held three times per year at the Hayden market site.
2021 ARC Jury Dates:
Saturday, May 1, 10:00am, main stage of the Hayden Market site
Saturday, July 10, 2:00pm, main stage of the Hayden Market site
There are two categories for non-agricultural products: Artistic Crafts and Value-Added Crafts (Food):
Artisan Crafts are non-food items that must be crafted by the vendor and contain artistic value. Plastic is discouraged. Silk/artificial flowers are not allowed. Our market is currently not accepting new vendors in the following categories: Woodworking, Furniture, Soaps and Lotions, or Baked Goods.
Artisan Foods are food products where the raw food material has been processed in some way, such as making jam out of berries. Market members may sell “low risk” foods, such as jams and breads, without health department permits as long as the food was grown/produced on their farm or garden, or comprised of items purchased at market. These products must also be juried by the ARC.
Any foods not considered “low risk” must be processed in a commercial kitchen and applicable permits from the Panhandle Health District apply.
Non-Members must have a permit from Panhandle Health to certify they are processing their product in an approved commercial kitchen. This applies to any food they are processing.
All Value-Added Crafts MUST have proper labeling and product information as required by law.
Guidelines for the Artistic Review
The following are the guidelines for craft acceptance at the KCFMA:
- The policies and regulations of the KCFMA apply to all craft vendors, including compliance with all government laws pertaining to the production and sale of that craft.
- All crafters should live within 100 miles of the Hayden market site.
- Priority is given to residents of Kootenai County.
- All crafts must be reviewed by the Artistic Review Committee (ARC) before they can be sold at market.
- The ARC will jury three times during the year.
- The last artistic review will be held in early October for crafters wanting to sell at the Winter market in December. No other reviews will be conducted prior to the Winter market outside the ARC Jury after that date. No exceptions.
- Crafters wishing to sell at Winter market must sell at least once during the regular season.
- There is a non-refundable fee of $20 for the artistic review. Any approved vendor who does not participate in the KCFMA for one season MUST be re-juried.
Point Scale for Artistic Review
Points will be assigned on a scale from 1 to 10 for the following criteria for ALL CRAFT VENDORS:
- Originality of craft
- Quality of craftsmanship
- Use of homegrown/recycled/foraged components
- Artistic element
- Theme (farmers’ market/garden/nature)
- Location (4 points are added for Kootenai County residents)